September in Sutherland - Capercaillie Escapes
“It seems an awfully long way up!”
“Aye, it is…but it’s worth it!”
One of the remotest and sparsely populated areas of the UK, yet in this most northerly part of the Scottish mainland it is beautiful, tranquil and diverse. From sweeping sandy beaches, sheltered coves and impressive sea-stacks, to rugged mountains and moorland scattered with hundreds of lochans and rivers, Sutherland is a gem to be seen and experienced. Surprisingly, you may find the weather milder and drier up here too thanks to the gulf-stream coming in off the Atlantic, and in our opinion it offers a perfect location for an exhilarating self drive holiday in Scotland.
Days can be spent exploring local crofting communities, walking the coastline or more strenuously up two of the areas munros (Ben Hope & Ben Klibreck), fishing and canoeing off the coast. Lochinver is one of the larger fishing villages in the Assynt district of west Sutherland and is a great base on the west coast for offshore fisherman – boat hire and charters are available from Lochinver Harbour. You’ll find Pollack, Bass, Atlantic Salmon and Sea Trout all here through to late September.
Hospitality in this part of the world is warm and you’ll be greeted with good humour and unfaltering pride of the local area. Whether you fancy some wilderness camping overlooking a beautiful white sandy beach, bed and breakfast, self-catering or hotel accommodation there are a number of options in the area to suit your budget. For local fresh cooking there are also a few gems spread across the area to be recommended…
September through to early October is a wonderful time to escape to Sutherland….you’ll be away from the crowds to enjoy the wilderness with a few gems enroute north to break up your journey! It’s a trip well worth making and part of the country you’ll never forget!
This sample great escape includes:
- 1 night in the small town of Dornoch on the Dornoch Firth in a comfort B&B
- 2 nights in north west Sutherland near Scourie Bay in a comfort hotel with sea view
- 3 nights in north west Sutherland near Lochinver in a luxury hotel with sea view
- 1 night dinner, bed & breakfast in Ross-shire north of Ullapool in a comfort hotel with sea view
- 2 day excursions to local west coast islands by boat
- Detailed route information to guide you on scenic trails throughout your trip
- Dining and other activity recommendations (payable locally)
Prices* from £750 per person based on 2 people sharing for 7 nights, not including transport, fuel, meals other than stated or any additional local activities.
* all prices are subject to availability and variable depending on type/standard of accommodation and requests at time of booking